Individuals and/or Families with Medicaid, Child Health Plus, or the Essential Plan
Due to a recent change in federal law, the New York State Department of Health (NY State of Health) now requires that all individuals who receive Medicaid, Child Health Plus, or the Essential Plan through the New York State Marketplace be recertified annually to receive coverage.
On June 30, 2023, the NY State of Health began contacting insurance holders via email, text, and/or mail to complete a renewal form to see if they still qualify for Medicaid, the Essential Plan, or Child Health Plus. Renewal notifications from the NY State of Health will continue for one year. Depending on when your current insurance ends, you will receive a notification from the New York State of Health two months before your insurance expires. You must renew your insurance within two months of being notified to have coverage in 2024.
If you were notified by the NY State of Health that you must renew your insurance and you need assistance, please call to make an appointment with one of our Certified Application Counselors at one of our three locations. You do not need to be a Westchester Community Health Center patient to meet with a Certified Application Counselor, and the service is free.
Renewing your insurance can take up to 30 minutes. To make sure it goes smoothly, please take the following documents with you to your appointment:
- New York State ID (e.g. Driver’s License)
- Social Security Card
- Certificate of Naturalization, if applicable
- Birth certificates of household members
- Permanent Resident Cards (“Green Card”), if applicable
- Employment Authorization Card (“Work Permit”), if applicable
- Income verification for the last 4 weeks (4 paystubs if weekly, 2 paystubs if bi-weekly)
- Most recent Federal Tax Return, if self-employed
- Available employer-based health insurance or other insurance information
You may still need to renew if you did not receive a letter or other contact from the NY State of Health. A WCHC Certified Application Counselor can help you understand this.
Individuals and/or Families with Qualified Health Insurance Plans
2024 open enrollment is here for individuals and/or families with Qualified Health Insurance. An open enrollment period is a limited time of year when individuals and/or families with an existing Qualified Health Plan through the New York State Marketplace can renew their plan for the following year. The 2024 Open Enrollment Period extends from November 15, 2023, through February 15, 2024, with different start dates for coverage:
|Open Enrollment Period||Insurance|
Coverage Start Date
|November 16 – December 15, 2023||January 1, 2024|
|December 16, 2023 – January 15, 2024||February 1, 2024|
|January 16 – February 15, 2024||March 1, 2024|
If you need help with open enrollment, please stop by and visit or contact one of our Certified Enrollment Counselors below.
Help with Finding, Qualifying, and Enrolling in New Insurance
We have specially trained Certified Application Counselors at select locations to walk you through qualifying and enrolling in an affordable and comprehensive healthcare plan through the New York State of Health Marketplace. Health insurance enrollment help is free.
Visit us or get in touch with one of our Certified Application Counselors.
We are here to help. Please reach out directly to one of our counselors. Se habla espanol!
- WCHC Mount Vernon: Leiris Nunez at (914) 669-7200, ext. 1150 or LNunez@wchchealth.org
- WCHC Mount Vernon: Frank Owusu at (914) 669-7200, ext. 1151 or email@example.com
- WCHC Greenburgh: Lilian Brito at (914) 989-7600, ext. 2152 or LB@wchchealth.org
- WCHC Yonkers: Vanessa Medina at (914) 968-4898, ext. 3004 or VMedina@wchchealth.org